cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject XSLT and namespaces: two different planets
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:31:41 GMT
I got my hands dirty with SAX2 and, man, I love their namespace support,
it's great, clean, perfect, just fits perfectly with what I need.

Then I look at XSLT and, hmmm, their level of namespace support isn't
quite what I like... ok, let's make an example:

 <my:page xmlns:my="http://myhost.com/mystuff">
 </my:page>

How would a "normal" person access this in XSLT? simple

 <xsl:template match="my:page">
 </xsl:template>

All right (I know you already smell the problem, but keep going) then I
move my page to

 <my-stuff:page xmlns:my-stuff="http://myhost.com/mystuff">
 <my-stuff:page>

because I found that that the "my" prefix is used in another (and more
famous) schema.

Great, while good behaving SAX2 applications don't give a damn since the
"page" element is correctly interpreted (in memory) as

 http://myhost.com/mystuff^page

no matter what prefix is used (as the namespace spec rules), in XSLT...
well, I honestly don't know.

Please help, the XPath spec is not very clear about this.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.