cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Cocoon and Systems Management Software
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:09:56 GMT
Matthew Langham wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Please, can you elaborate more on the subject? I'm not sure I get what
> you mean by "System Management Software".
>
> BTW, Avalon will provide the JMX support so, if we stay Avalon-aware
> (and you can bet you ass we do), we gain that for free.
> <<
>
> I am thinking along the lines of SNMP support. I know there is an SNMP
> module for the Apache Web server. We are currently in talks with a few
> customers about using a Cocoon-based product and one of the major questions
> is "how do we monitor the system". As Cocoon is a servlet - can it (could
> it) integrate into some form of systems management.

Ok, got it.

Being Cocoon a servlet, I'd be _totally_ against providing direct SNMP
capabilities or even implementing JMX services directly in Cocoon.

Avalon is planning to add JMX services for its blocks and Tomcat will be
ported under Avalon, while Cocoon will be both Avalon-aware and a
servlet... in both cases it will inherit JMX services and you'll get
what you want.

> Do you know when Avalon will be providing JMX support?

Eh, good question. Not soon as you'd like would be a good answer... but
you could always help us implementing it :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.