cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cache madness
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:54:18 GMT
Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Donald Ball wrote:
>
> > welp, no one else has chimed in yet, so here's my two cents. i think you
> > should add an xsp:cache element that would provide a clues to the runtime
> > system. for instance:
> >
> > <xsp:page>
> >  <xsp:cache type="timeout">
> >   <xsp:param name="seconds" value="60"/>
> >  </xsp:cache>
> > </xsp:page>
>
> That should be:
>
> <xsp:expires>
>         RFC-1123 format date
>         or
>         Seconds since the epoch
> </xsp:expires>

Yeah, I like it better.

> And the character data there needs to be able to be generated via
> <xsp:expr>.

Again, I agree.

> > or
> >
> > <xsp:page>
> >  <xsp:cache type="resource">
> >   <xsp:param name="file" value="/usr/local/etc/foo.xml"/>
> >   <xsp:param name="url" value="http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/"/>
> >  </xsp:cache>
> > </xsp:page>
>
> I don't even understand this one.

Donald meant that you have to test for those resources to invalidate the
cache. It's a sort of default hadChanged() logic.

But on second though, I'm not sure we need to go that far.

XSP should simply provide a hook to place your cache updating code, the
rest could be moved into a taglib if you need to.

Do I make sense?

> > short, simple, to the point.
> >
> > (note i've copied matt on this since he's got an XSP impl and might have
> > some input here) (would it be worthwhile to create an xsp-dev list
> > strictly for xsp language issues?)
>
> Maybe we could do with both xsp-dev and xsp-users? Want me to get Ask to
> setup a couple of lists on apache.org?

I'll ask the XML PMC for this, but I'd be against xsp-users since almost
all cocoon-users questions are on XSP and that would flood the list.

XSP-dev should be a place where (a few) people interested in XSP
development meet and have discussions.

For usability, each project should provide its own support.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.