cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@f1.bali.ac>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon2 caching implemented?
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:14:57 GMT
Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> But this suggests adding a third method to all pipeline components
> that tells the cache engine if caching results makes any sense at all
> (imagine a component that outputs the current time).

Even "Current Time" is cachable. It is in fact a very interesting
concept.

For a given scope/context, there is a "minimum resolution of relevance",
for which the time is to be considered the same. In modern days this
resolution has decreased a lot, and inside certain computer systems it
is in the millisecond range, and I presume that in GPS it is in the
nano-second perhaps faster yet.
For a website, I would argue, the resolution is a few seconds to a
couple of minutes, so your <datetime when="now"> could very well be
cached, although in this obvious example it would take more CPU power to
cache it  than re-generate it, which brings us to an ancient Cocoon
discussion (last year) about the algorithm for calculating cache
performance benefits.

Niclas