cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@infoplanning.com>
Subject Re: [Cocoon Devel]Is Cocoon2 caching implemented?
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2000 12:42:06 GMT
Brian May wrote:

>     Berin> Jon Lancelle wrote:
>     >> Do you think such an implementation will eventually be a part
>     >> of Cocoon 2?
>
>     Berin> I'm positive, it is a matter of time.
>
>     Berin> For non-dynamic pages we have more than 100-fold
>     Berin> performance increase for the reward--definitely worth it.
>
> What is the plan for static files? According to the documentation, I
> have read "To be able to put most of the static part job back on the
> web server (where it belongs), Cocoon2 will greatly improve it's
> command line operation, allowing the creation of site makefiles that
> will automatically scan the web site and the source documents and will
> provide a way to regenerate the static part of a web site (images and
> tables included!) based on the same XML model used in the dynamic
> operation version."
>
> However, wouldn't this make caching redundant?

You are mixing the view for dynamic and static HTML.  Part of that is
my fault for saying non-dynamic.  I was trying to convey that the XML
is still transformed by Cocoon--therefore Cocoon handles the caching.
For static HTML, the onus is on the web server to cache the pages.

Cocoon will have the ability to generate the HTML from your sitemap,
and let the web browser deal with the caching _if_you_choose_to_do_so_.
At least this is my understanding.

> Personally, my major concern for Cocoon 1 (and so far Cocoon 2), is
> that static web pages do not have the http "Last-Modified"
> header. This means that proxy http caches like squid will not cache
> the page, meaning it has to be re-down-loaded every time you access
> it, even if you only accessed it five minutes ago...

Hmmm.  Good point.  The Last-Modified and Expires headers should both be
used.

> I hope that one day, Cocoon2 will be able to create static HTML files
> (where practical), so that the web-server is responsible for
> generating these headers again.

This is the general plan.

> Then again, I have encountered this problem even for
> http://xml.apache.org/. It was my impression that this web site used
> static HTML pages???

It does.