cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <pati_giac...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Shutdown of an producer
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:51:06 GMT

--- Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> > One thing we have to take care of is that there are components that
> gets
> > instantiated when requested with a ComponentManager (i.e. parser)
> > instead of reused. I mean there is no way to say 'this is a thread
> safe
> > component, that component must be instantiated per request and the
> other
> > one should be recycled'. Does anybody has an idea how to accomplish
> > this? My oppinion is that such classes should implement an
> (possibly
> > empty) interfaces.
>
> Why don't you post such a question to the Avalon mail list. I recall
> talking with Federico about exactly this, but I don't know his plans
> on
> this.

Because I thought it does not be of concern to the configuration
itself. Do you think a sitemap administrator will know which components
are reentrant, reusable, etc? I think its the concern of the component
writer to specify it by implementing the right interfaces to make the
sitemap engine aware of the capabilities of a component. But thinking
about it you may be right. Avalon may have concept (as like the
Recylable interface) how to specify those capabilities of a component.
I will post a message to the Avalon list to see what they think about
it or what they suggest as the right way to go.

Giacomo

=====