cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Russell <p...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: Avalon explainations
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:55:18 GMT
On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 11:44:30AM +0200, Eric SCHAEFFER wrote:
> What's the advantage of using JNDI ???
> They don't want to use config files anymore ? And what about portability ?

JNDI is portable (part of J2SE as of 1.3), and configuration
files are a missed blessing. Personally I'm not involved in
that discussion, but I can see reasons why JNDI would be
beneficial. A lot of application servers etc have a JNDI SPI
at their core, and all the configuration of components,
location of components & beans is done through this. It works
very well in this situation. Personally, I'd welcome the option
to take a snapshot of the configuration as XML, and import that
at a later date, but I see significant advantages to not having
configuration files as such lying around on servers (unless
they're persisted there by the server itself, anyway).

This is one of those arguments that has the potential to run
and run. In terms of Avalon, I'm not sure what the answer is,
but in terms of the application server architectures I've been
designing, JNDI and similar technologies are an answer to a
difficult problem.

Luminas Ltd.