cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <>
Subject Re: [RT] resource views, error handling, pipeline debugging
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2000 09:12:10 GMT
At 14:29 +0200 30/06/00, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>For example, semantic crawlers might ask for "semantic view" of a
>resource, where they obtain the semantic network used in that resource.
>Or they could ask for the "schema view", or the "hyperlink view" and so
>on. Humans might ask for "normal" view if they want to simply browse the
>resource, or "debug view" if they want to know what happened when the
>resource was created (timing, caching, tracing, logs, etc...), or
>"content edit view" if they want to change its content or "style edit
>view" if they want to change the style and so forth.

This is very interesting.
It could almost be a description of my first XML project, "Noise".
There are a set of frames for each "thing" each providing different views
of the same data, I was even planning to make pictures of intersecting
planes to visually map the relationships, using SVG or VRML :)

My back ground is in design, where the concepts you discuss exist, but the
analogies are completely different, you are a wacky man :)

Any more talk of the Romans inventing space travel, is going to take you
over the edge :)

At 15:22 +0800 01/07/00, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>> So, to avoid having to write it, we must make it "implicit" and we must
>> create a design pattern for it. Here we are trying to decide which one
>> is the best design pattern to encode a view into a URI.
>3 choices;
>a)  Extension to the path.
>b) cocoon-view parameter
>c) any parameter indicated by a configuration property.
>I vote for b.

I've always preferred option (a).
I find query parameters aesthetically displeasing, particularly on public URLs.
Keep query params for when there is really no other option IMHO.

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

    <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>        <>