cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Ulrich Niedermann <niederm...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject Re: converting docs to PDF or some other "printer-friendly" format?
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:25:08 GMT
Hi folks,

probably it is time for a little status report about what I did with
the docbook/PDF/documentation stuff, as need for printable C2 docs is
arising.

I have got the following things working in my local copy now:

1. the docbook 4.1.1beta DTD (dtd/docbook/docbookx.dtd)
2. Norm's docbook XSL stylesheets release 1.16 (he kindly fixed
   chapter numbering for us :-) (stylesheets/docbook/html/docbook.xsl)
   These also should produce XSL:FO according to a quite new
   version of the draft
3. a XSL stylesheet that produces docbook from document
   (stylesheets/document2docbook.xsl)
4. an Ant build task that builds HTML from docbook XML
   (lib/build.jar)
5. a patch to current CVS Xerces in order to make current
   CVS xalan process docbook (docbook ist quite complex and
   xalan/xerces seem less stable than xt/xp with docbook).
   Patch was sent to xerces-j-dev yesterday but no notice from them
   yet.
   (replaced lib/{xalan,xerces}*.jar with mine)
   BTW, Stylebook still works
6. a patch for xdocs/docs-book.xml that introduces links to
   docbook-created HTML files

What is still missing:

7. Produce PDF via XSL:FO, i.e. find a version of FOP that handles all
   necessary XSL:FO elements.
8. Find out if Cocoon2 works with the current CVS versions of
   Xalan/Xerces. If not, we're going to have to wait for a working C2
   offline mode or hack something together with seperated Xalan/Xerces
   Jars for building C2 docs and building/running C2.
9. Commit changes to cocoon
10.Gradually replace "heritage" document type docs with docbook type
   docs - using document2docbook.xsl and an editor.

Number five has bugged me for some two weeks now -
ClassNotFoundException looking for some non-existing XSchemaValidator
class. Luckily current CVS code does not produce that error.

I won't be doing much until next weekend (exams in numerical maths on
friday). If anybody is interested in a faster commit of this stuff, I
can mail a tar.gz package of my source tree if desired.

Uli