cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: load related problem
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:31:32 GMT
> Mark Washeim wrote:
>
> > I've been load testing an xsp application (one of the eurofootball apps) and
> > am having difficulty determining the origin of this exception:
> >
> > java.lang.NullPointerException
> >     at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
> >     at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
> >     at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
> >     at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.xspExpr(Compiled Code)
> >     at
> > _opt._IBMHTTPD._htdocs._en_US._editorial._gb_home.populateDocument(Compiled
> > Code)
> >
> > it only occurs when I bring the load up to about 40 to 50 concurrent
> > requests (per second).
>
> Interesting thorughput :o)
>
> > I'm wondering if it's because the method within the xsp:expr isn't returning
> > (which shouldn't happen and doesn't under less load) or whether it's
> > something else?
> >
> > Any ideas ?
>
> One might wonder if some OutOfMemoryError has been caught and ignored...

one might also check and see if the library method being invoked by
xsp:expr is the cause of the null pointer by simply forking 40-50 threads
and repeatedly call it from them. my gut says that xsp is the problem, but
it'd be good to eliminate the external possibilities first. other likely
candidate is the jvm.

- donald