cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Forms proposal
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:59:03 GMT
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Mark Washeim wrote:

> > How many times to I have to tell you people? If you are coding something
> > about SAX or DOM _by_hand_ you'll have troubles.
> >
> > Gee, XSP was created to allow you guys to _avoid_ learning SAX or DOM.
> > Tell me: why is it so hard to use?
>

> Well, I agree in principle. However, there are cases where, though I NEVER
> use the nodestack directly, I DO need to create elements (that is, use the
> document as a factory to create child elements, etc). In fact, it's an
> obvious requirement for many things the tag-lib author needs to do all the
> time (ie, consistant reporting of errors, for which I use a util class to
> append a child node with an explicit, content derived, error message....) .
> . .
>
> I find, for much of what I do, that I move away from logic and expr tags to
> support libraries (as do most of the tag-libs) and, in that case, it's clear
> . . . gotta write against the apis and not with xsp, per se....

bingo. if someone can tell me how to generate XML elements in my
logicsheet libraries without relying on DOM or SAX, well, you'd be my best
friend in the world. i anticipate having to rewrite all of my logicsheet
libraries when i move to the cocoon2 world (at least those i don't want to
rely on a DOM2SAX library).

- donald