cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: Forms proposal
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:58:30 GMT

> It can be possible to "compile" XSLT in a way that they become
> Generators rather than Transformers. And inlining XSLT extentions like
> we do today with XSP taglibs.
>
> IMHO, XSLT should not work as a Generator (either compiled or
> interpreted).

Hmm... why?

(Compilation or interpretation make no difference to the model you are
talking about, or hardly any other XSLT model, for that matter.  So let's
set that completely aside.)

> But almost everyone in the XSLT WG doesn't seem to agree with me on this
> :-(

I'm not sure I, or the rest of the XSL WG, have heard your arguments
articulated.  Certainly today the XSLT model is a transformation.  To me,
there is a very thin line between transformation and generation... I think
of generation as a type of transformation.

-scott

                    Stefano

                    Mazzocchi            To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    <stefano@apac        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    he.org>              Subject:     Re: Forms proposal

                    07/14/2000

                    06:52 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> > > Must a compiled transformer not have input?
> >
> > After reading the XSLT spec a hundred times, this is what I understood.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't understand.
> If I compile a java class, it can have methods with input (multiple) and
output.
> What's the difference?
> If it's too long to answer, where can I find this in the documentation?

Let me restate this before Scott catches me :)

By saying "a compiled transformer must not have input", I was
misleading. In fact XSLTC shows this can be done.

The XSLT specification indicates a way for XSLT stylesheets to operate
with no input. And _this_ is where XSLT and XSP partially overlap.

It can be possible to "compile" XSLT in a way that they become
Generators rather than Transformers. And inlining XSLT extentions like
we do today with XSP taglibs.

IMHO, XSLT should not work as a Generator (either compiled or
interpreted).

But almost everyone in the XSLT WG doesn't seem to agree with me on this
:-(

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.