cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Scott_B...@lotus.com
Subject Re: [report] Cocoon Hackaton #1
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:08:12 GMT

> This is true, but the XSL transformer seriously delays this stream,
right?

Only if the stylesheet does something like sorting.  In Xalan 2.0 with SAX
streams, it should do a pretty good job at transforming while input is
still occuring  (a lot of work has gone into this).  For instance, if you
pipe five transforms together, with a parse at the beginning, the end
transform can be producing characters to the result stream when the parse
has only just begun.

-scott

                    "N. Sean

                    Timm"                To:     <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>

                    <stimm@mailgo        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    .com>                Subject:     Re: [report] Cocoon Hackaton #1

                    07/19/2000

                    03:26 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

Giacomo Pati <pati_giacomo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In C2 you can write to the SAX stream which goes directly through to
> the serializer. Because C1 uses DOMs which are passed along the
> pipeline the serialisation cannot start before every component has
> finished its work.
This is true, but the XSL transformer seriously delays this stream, right?
The data I'm generating isn't in a format suitable for XSL transformation
HTML until it is complete (or at least to a certain stage), but in the
meantime, I need to update a progress bar via HTML to the browser client.

- Sean T.