cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck>
Subject C2: Relative URLs in output vs. <sitemap>
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2000 07:47:38 GMT
I've been looking at the <sitemap> and considering issues relating to
Cocoon 2 based websites.  One big issue that I can't see an obvious
solution to (but that doesn't mean there isn't one :-) ) relates to the
<transformer> based generation of relative links to web based resources
from pages which can be mapped into different spaces in resulting site

e.g. {

You create a site using Cocoon 2.

You put your standard image files in a subdirectory called "images".

You start with an index page "index.html" at the root of your site.

You auto-generate standard parts of each page using a transform which,
amongst other things, creates relative links to a background image used on
every page.  The relative link to this image is "images/background.gif".

As the site expands, you add extra pages, including some news pages,
generated by some files called "news/*.xml" and mapped to and called,
"somenews.html" and "someothernews.html" (at the root directory).
Everything works fine.

Then you decide you need to organise things better because you've got all
your pages mapped onto the root directory and run into potential name
conflicts, so you change the <sitemap> and map your news pages onto

Suddenly, all your backgrounds disappear, because the links to the
background are added by a single XSLT transformer that doesn't know that
the absolute address of the pages it is transforming are different.

As far as I am aware, you can't do the checking you would need to fix this
because it would use XSP which is a generator not a transformer.

Any thoughts on this.

View raw message