cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: load related problem
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:30:41 GMT
on 10/7/00 5:02 am, Niclas Hedhman at niclas@localbar.com wrote:

> Mark Washeim wrote:
>
>> I've been load testing an xsp application (one of the eurofootball apps) and
>> am having difficulty determining the origin of this exception:
>>
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPUtil.cloneNode(Compiled Code)
>> at org.apache.cocoon.processor.xsp.XSPPage.xspExpr(Compiled Code)
>> at
>> _opt._IBMHTTPD._htdocs._en_US._editorial._gb_home.populateDocument(Compiled
>> Code)
>>
>> it only occurs when I bring the load up to about 40 to 50 concurrent
>> requests (per second).
>
> Interesting thorughput :o)
>
>> I'm wondering if it's because the method within the xsp:expr isn't returning
>> (which shouldn't happen and doesn't under less load) or whether it's
>> something else?
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>
> One might wonder if some OutOfMemoryError has been caught and ignored...
>
> Niclas

Turns out that this is the case. I was unable to see it while running under
Websphere. When running with the same jvm and settings ( -ms 512m -mx768m )
under solaris (7x) with tomcat, I can see the out of memory error being
generated, whereupon, xsp stops producing that page...

Ok, any ideas for a fix (this has been stalling me for more than a week now,
sigh) . . .

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.