cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: [C2] Package names
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 12:39:14 GMT
on 9/7/00 12:31 pm, Jeremy Quinn at jeremy@media.demon.co.uk wrote:

>>> This is correct :)
>>

>> Ah, Jeremy, since when is a 'matcher' a word in the English language?
>
> Since about 1657 :)
>
> No, I'm joking ....
>
> Matcher (noun), someone or something that makes a match between ......
> A more common word for this meaning would be match-maker

Hmm. Deemed archaic in my Random House (ah, well, what do they know) . . .

>> Sorry to be so bitchy about this . . .
>
> No worries, I love the inconsistencies, flexibility and mutability of my
> mother tongue :)

Moi, aussi! Though it isnt' strictly speaking my mother tongue (that'd be
Deutsch).

> I have these in my Chambers TwenCen Dictionary :
>
> Match, matchable, matched, matcher, matching, matchless, matchlessly etc etc.

Matchlessly didn't even merit an entry! Damn it. Time to buy an oxford
again.

> regards Jeremy

Nice to have a corrective to hand. Matcher was making me feel queasy. :)

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.

Quem colorem habet sapientia?'