cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: Forms proposal
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 16:37:02 GMT
on 7/7/00 12:42 pm, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>
>> --- Jeremy Quinn <jeremy@media.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Oh dear! :)
>>> Jeez, it's taken me long enough to get my head around doing this in DOM :)
>>
>> I don't know if you must use DOM. With SAX I feel it's like doing
>>
>> this.contentHandler.startElement("", "title", "title", xspAttr);
>> xspAttr.clear();
>> this.characters("A Simple XSP Page");
>> this.contentHandler.endElement("", "title", "title");
>
> How many times to I have to tell you people? If you are coding something
> about SAX or DOM _by_hand_ you'll have troubles.
>
> Gee, XSP was created to allow you guys to _avoid_ learning SAX or DOM.
> Tell me: why is it so hard to use?

Well, I agree in principle. However, there are cases where, though I NEVER
use the nodestack directly, I DO need to create elements (that is, use the
document as a factory to create child elements, etc). In fact, it's an
obvious requirement for many things the tag-lib author needs to do all the
time (ie, consistant reporting of errors, for which I use a util class to
append a child node with an explicit, content derived, error message....) .
. .

I find, for much of what I do, that I move away from logic and expr tags to
support libraries (as do most of the tag-libs) and, in that case, it's clear
. . . gotta write against the apis and not with xsp, per se....

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.

Quem colorem habet sapientia?'