cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: [C2] Package names
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 10:13:58 GMT
on 6/7/00 1:06 am, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> Mark Washeim wrote:
>>
>> on 5/7/00 7:22 pm, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> Mark Washeim wrote:
>>>
>>>>> generator -> generate
>>>>> transformer -> transform
>>>>> serializer -> serialize
>>>>> matcher -> matching
>>>>> chooser -> choosing
>>>>
>>>> matcher -> match
>>>> chooser -> chose
>>>
>>> ???

I meant, actor (matcher, chooser) action, to match, to chose.

>>> verb   = generate
>>> action = generation
>>> actor  = generator
>>
>> verb = generate
>> action = generate
>
> ???
>
>> actor = generator
>>
>> generation is a noun, also. though, 'the act of generation' can be
>> misleading...
>
> "generation" takes place when a "generator" "generates".
>
> Is this misleading? is this wrong? (in italian, it's not)

Sure :) I'm just hung up on the narrower usage in english (namely,
electrical power) . . . not important . . .

>>> then
>>>
>>> verb   = match
>>> action = matching
>>> actor  = matcher
>>
>> verb = match
>> action = match
>> actor = ??? (to have fun with it, match-maker ;) )
>>
>> the problem is that you're using the adjective (something is matching is a
>> quality of the thing, not an act of the thing) . . .
>
> Ok, I trust you there.... there is no direct italian translation for the
> word "match".

:)

http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/

>>> Uh, great.

>>> so this is a), right?
>>
>> Yeah, sorry, it's a.
>>
>>> God, we have at least one vote for all three choices...
>>>
>>> I still vote for c)
>>
>> The package denotes a 'class' of components which relate to generation, so
>> Ok.
>
> Yes, that's the idea.
>
>> +1 for
>>
>> org.apache.cocoon.generation.Generator
>> (I still contend that generator's are for making electricity, not documents)
>> org.apache.cocoon.transformation.Transformer
>> (god forgive me, that's an electrical device for transforming voltage)
>
> All right, here we go again.
>
> The good terms are "producer/consumer", but these are more general since
> a Transformer is a device that is both producing and consuming
> something... in fact, it's transforming it.
>
> A "transformer" is a devide that transforms something into something
> else. In fact, an electrical transformer can be said "implementing" this
> "transformation" design pattern.
>
> Same could be said for generation.
>
> also keep in mind my hardware background :)

Yeah, no real issue with them. I just preferred the old producer and filter
terms, in part because I have a pipe-line framework in place that employs
those terms.

Something to think about, if a transformer is both producer/consumer could
it be thought of in terms of the decorator pattern? That is, a wrapper???

>> org.apache.cocoon.serialization.Serializer
>> (ok, this is just awful, serialization meaning publication in volumes aswith
>> a magazine (and why I think that sun went with Writers even for streams of
>> bytes, though I'm probably wrong)).
>
> This is a general term used in many W3C specs, and I think it's very
> consistent once you get used to it.

Yeah. I'm not that averse to it. I was observing the distinctions between
writers and serializers in some of the java packages from sun...

>> That keeps them consistent, anyway...
>
> Yes, that's the reason for such discussion anyway.
>
>> (now you're really going to hate me :) )
>
> Nah

:)

>> org.apache.cocoon.selection.Selector (in place of choosing)
>>
>> variants match might be:
>> org.apache.cocoon.check.Checker
>> org.apache.cocoon.fit.Fitter
>
> I used "choose" because XSLT does, but XSLT has only one (hardcoded)
> "chooser" which is the XPathChooser.

Stands to reason. I've never liked xsl:choose, though I love XSLT, so I
don't generally complain :)

>> in both the latter cases, these are synonyms for match which also happen to
>> have actors which precisely describe the action. Although, in the case of
>> the fitter (clothes and pipes, usually, it's a bit strained).
>
> So you propose
>
> chooser -> selector
> matcher -> checker
>
> is this right?

Yeah, but . . .

> (I still like <map:match pattern=""> much more)

match 'sounds' better than check. so, though I hate matcher (because it
isn't a proper word in english) match is better from sound/sense, so, what
the hey . . . I'd accept that match is understood more easily, intuitively .
. .

>> A checker is one who checks the correctness of something and a check may
>> (among other things) be a match.
>
> Yes, but a match is always (and only) a match and this is what we are
> looking for.

They are, in fact, synonyms. A check on identity is the same thing as a
match...

>> Ok, I'm sorry to drag this out . . . it's just my writer background creeping
>> out of the sub-conscious . . .
>
> No, no, naming is very important.

Yes!

>> It's just a case of correctness which can be dispensed with so if everyone
>> votes for me to shut up, please go ahead, I don't mind . . .
>
> No, want to hear everyone's opinion on this...
>
>> I'm only expressing my opinion....
>
> That's the point... otherwise I'd be coding C2 in my basement alone :)

:)

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.