cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: [C2] Package names
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:30:36 GMT
on 5/7/00 7:22 pm, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> Mark Washeim wrote:
>
>>> generator -> generate
>>> transformer -> transform
>>> serializer -> serialize
>>> matcher -> matching
>>> chooser -> choosing
>>
>> matcher -> match
>> chooser -> chose
>
> ???
>
> verb   = generate
> action = generation
> actor  = generator

verb = generate
action = generate
actor = generator

generation is a noun, also. though, 'the act of generation' can be
misleading...

> then
>
> verb   = match
> action = matching
> actor  = matcher

verb = match
action = match
actor = ??? (to have fun with it, match-maker ;) )

the problem is that you're using the adjective (something is matching is a
quality of the thing, not an act of the thing) . . .

verb = chose
action = chose
actor = ??? choser (loser!)

trouble.

verb = select
action = select
actor = selector
( selector = a switch that is used to select among alternatives )

> Is this wrong? Gosh, I wish I knew more english...

Check out the princeton university word net browser. Very cool reference
tool for finding all of the variants of meaning (from Hyponyms to Hypernyms,
to synonyms and coordinate terms) . . .

>> sorry to be picky, I'm also in a hurry (eurofootball goes live with cocoon
>> tonight :) )
>
> Uh, great.
>
>>> Is it ok so far? Do you guys have any more suggestion?
>>>
>>> 2) assuming the above is final, we have to place all these into
>>> packages. To reduce verbosity the package should not be verbose.
>>>
>>> org.apache.cocoon.[package].[noun]
>>>
>>> where
>>>
>>> [noun] must be the name of the interface component
>>>
>>> so we have to decide what to use for [package]
>>>
>>> Proposals are
>>>
>>> a) [noun] singular
>>> b) [noun] plural
>>> c) [action] derived from [noun]
>>>
>>> i.e.
>>>
>>> a) org.apache.cocoon.generator.Generator
>>> b) org.apache.cocoon.generators.Generator
>>> c) org.apache.cocoon.generation.Generator
>>
>> org.apache.cocoon.generator.PrDocumentGenerator
>> org.apache.cocoon.generator.HrDocumentGenerator
>>
>> That's my preference.
>
> so this is a), right?

Yeah, sorry, it's a.

> God, we have at least one vote for all three choices...
>
> I still vote for c)

The package denotes a 'class' of components which relate to generation, so
Ok.

+1 for

org.apache.cocoon.generation.Generator
(I still contend that generator's are for making electricity, not documents)
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.Transformer
(god forgive me, that's an electrical device for transforming voltage)

org.apache.cocoon.serialization.Serializer
(ok, this is just awful, serialization meaning publication in volumes aswith
a magazine (and why I think that sun went with Writers even for streams of
bytes, though I'm probably wrong)).

That keeps them consistent, anyway...

(now you're really going to hate me :) )

org.apache.cocoon.selection.Selector (in place of choosing)

variants match might be:
org.apache.cocoon.check.Checker
org.apache.cocoon.fit.Fitter

in both the latter cases, these are synonyms for match which also happen to
have actors which precisely describe the action. Although, in the case of
the fitter (clothes and pipes, usually, it's a bit strained).

A checker is one who checks the correctness of something and a check may
(among other things) be a match.

Ok, I'm sorry to drag this out . . . it's just my writer background creeping
out of the sub-conscious . . .

It's just a case of correctness which can be dispensed with so if everyone
votes for me to shut up, please go ahead, I don't mind . . .

I'm only expressing my opinion....

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.