cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2 thread savety
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2000 21:43:53 GMT
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> I've encountered a problem concerning thread savetyness. The old C2
> sitemap engine instantiated a component object (generator, serializer,
> etc.) for every request. The new sitemap engine does not.

I recall a discussion with Pier about this.

> Now we should
> decide if a sitemap component should be thread save, or not or if we
> could have a mixture of both (indicated in the sitemap as an attribute
> like thread-save="yes").

I would say that sitemap components "must" be thread safe.

Let not make the same mistake Servlets did: either you learn how to
program something for thread safety or you don't program something on a
highly concurrent enviornment. Period.

Having something like thread-safe="yes" breaks separation of concern
between administration and logic.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.