cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2: Relative URLs in output vs. <sitemap>
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:20:57 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > why? do people enter your side by typing
> >
> >  http://www.yoursite.com
>
> yes.
>
> > or they do directly
> >
> >  http://www.yoursite.com/index.html
>
> also, yes.
>
> > Do not underestimate the impact of such decision: using a "default file
> > for indexes" is a hack that Apache turned into a design patter. But it's
> > still a hack. A pretty big one as well!
>
> what are you talking about?? default file indexes predate apache and are
> quite useful. i hate it when my designers link straight to /index.html,
> i've had to beat it into them to link to / instead.

That's what I mean: Apache enforced a hack to become the rule. Now
people are accustomed to that so much that they believe the two above
resources are _necessarely_ the same.

But this is not the case.

What do you do if the server is a IIS? Do you try

 http://www.yoursite.com/default.htm

And if Cocoon1 you try

 http://www.yoursite.com/index.xml

and so on.

So, you _have_ to beat your content writers (designers in Cocoon don't
create links!!!) when they link directly to the file instead of the
resource.

Sure, Cocoon changes the picture so much your content writers will have
to be "trained" on this new URI idea, but it's cleaner and safer, so
shouldn't be a problem.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.