cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forms proposal
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:52:47 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> > > Must a compiled transformer not have input?
> >
> > After reading the XSLT spec a hundred times, this is what I understood.
>
> I'm sorry but I don't understand.
> If I compile a java class, it can have methods with input (multiple) and output.
> What's the difference?
> If it's too long to answer, where can I find this in the documentation?

Let me restate this before Scott catches me :)

By saying "a compiled transformer must not have input", I was
misleading. In fact XSLTC shows this can be done.

The XSLT specification indicates a way for XSLT stylesheets to operate
with no input. And _this_ is where XSLT and XSP partially overlap.

It can be possible to "compile" XSLT in a way that they become
Generators rather than Transformers. And inlining XSLT extentions like
we do today with XSP taglibs.

IMHO, XSLT should not work as a Generator (either compiled or
interpreted).

But almost everyone in the XSLT WG doesn't seem to agree with me on this
:-(

--
Stefano Mazzocchi      OX-Mozilla-Status: 0009os in oneself to be
                          able to give birth to a dancing star.