cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSLTC + Cocoon?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:15:00 GMT
Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:

> Sun made that announcement with little consultation with the xml.apache.org
> PMC, or, apperently, other constituents within Sun.  Obviously, there is a
> bit of a conflict with Xalan, to put it bluntly.
>
> What we are trying hard to do is to get into a conversation with these
> guys.  Sun management has promised that they would be in touch, though I
> haven't heard from them yet.  The ideal would be for them to merge there
> smarts and code with the Xalan project... they clearly have some good
> ideas, and I, for one, would love to work with them.
>
> I don't think there's that much difference with their approach and that of
> Xalan2.  The issues are divided into 3 areas:  1) compiler optimization...
> generate a class file or class files that linierize templates and possibly
> XPath expressions, instead of execution trees, and do compiler-like things
> like common sub-expression elimination, and 2) the packaging issue... i.e.
> Translets... the ability to ship and stand-alone jar that represents the
> stylesheet, all supporting classes, and possibly even the XML parser (if
> one is not on the client), so that a full XSLT "engine" does not need to be
> available, and 3) the ability to store the XSLT in a processed form to
> disk, which could also be done via externalization (rather than
> serialization, which is too slow and fragile).  #2 is mainly a client
> issue, in my opinion.  We are working on #1 in Xalan2 (also on #1 at this
> point), but would love to have contributions in this area, from Sun and
> elsewhere.  There are problems to be solved having to do with class
>
> So my points are a) we are working on similar technology in Xalan, and b)
> within the Apache arena, I personally think it would be better if we all
> collaborated on a single XSLT processor, that encompassed the Translets
> thought.

I cannot agree more.

Scott, please be patient, some corporations are using "we might donate
this to Apache" arguments to gain PR resonance and given that Sun lacks
far behind in XML (but they want to catch up quickly, for example, by
hiring people like Norman Walsh and Eve Maler) their managers are trying
to gain every possible extra-momentum they can get.

But, please, don't let those things hurt you.

Just keep going the good job you've been doing so far, I'm sure people
will jump to help you now that you have a new codebase to work on.

(expect lots of bug reports from this list as soon as I place Xalan2
inside Cocoon2 and people start using it)

As for XSLTC developers.... we'll make sure the Spinnaker mistakes are
not done over again.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.