cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forms proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:40:59 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> [...]

Why so? I could easily imaging having a FO-aware browser (Acrobat Reader
5.0?)

> > > Basically there are three types of "interfaces": input, "pass it on" and output.
> > > --producers: input-"pass it on"
> > > --processors: "pass it on"-"pass it on"
> > > --formatters: "pass it on"-output
> > >
> > > Now, if someone wants to manipulate nodes programmatically in XSP, he
> > > is creating a producer that functions like a processor !
>
> I see you didn't comment this one; in the list there is a discussion on legacy
> XSP and direct DOM processing.
> Taken for granted that includes can resolve some problems, do many cocooners
> manipulate the DOM directly because they are trying to use XSPs in part as
> transformers?
>

> > > Then what about XSStylesheets?
> > > I would love to be able to write "XSP style" stylesheets.
> >
> > You mean "compiled transformers", right?
>
> Yep.
>
> > I don't see the need for this, but I'll be listening to you guys to your
> > reasons.
>
> Content-view separation. If I need to put Java code in my pipeline
> without making classes, I can make only XSP-generators. But if
> the code is pertinent to the view of the C-V? Must I put it in the
> XSP-generator? Namespaces help, I can use different taglibs, but the
> file is the same.
>
> It seems also as if there is overlapping between content and view in the
> processors: some generate content, others "views".
>
> Maybe I'm missing something...

Yes, you are missing XSLT extensions that give you the ability to do
what you are asking for.

> > > I read that you can't do everything with XSLT; this isn't yet true for what
> > > I am doing, but certainly XSLT is not allways as fast as you could get
> > > with custom code.
> > >
> > > And Xalan extensions?
> >
> > I believe the notion of "compiled transformers", "compiled stylesheets"
> > and XSLT extentions are very similar. In fact so similar they are
> > probably all the same thing.
>
> Yep.
>
> > Like I said, we could extend XSP to provide the ability to create
> > compiled transformers, just like XSLT was extended with the ability to
> > run without any input. (A filter without an input is not a filter in my
> > vocabulary, but anyway...)
>
> Must a compiled transformer not have input?

After reading the XSLT spec a hundred times, this is what I understood.

> > So what you need are XSLT extentions and hopefully Xalan will be able to
> > "compile" your stylesheets (either in memory or in java classes) to
> > optimize both XSTL and your extentions.
>
> That could do it.
>
> > But this is something, IMO, Cocoon shouldn't take care of.
>
> In the documentation it seems that Cocoon started because servlets
> weren't enough for XML. ;-)

Don't fool me :)

Anyway, the problem is simple: there is another project that already
handles this, why bother duplicating the effort? (they are already
saying XSP is duplicating efforts).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.