cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forms proposal
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:57:54 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Imo, it seems as if something is missing in Cocoon...
> We have (C1) producers, processors and formatters, which are java classes.
> Then we have equivalent elements that have the same functions, only easier to
> use: XSP, XSLT, XSL(?).

We call this XSL(?) as FO (formatting objects).

> Basically there are three types of "interfaces": input, "pass it on" and output.
> --producers: input-"pass it on"
> --processors: "pass it on"-"pass it on"
> --formatters: "pass it on"-output
>
> Now, if someone wants to manipulate nodes programmatically in XSP, he
> is creating a producer that functions like a processor !
>
> Then what about XSStylesheets?
> I would love to be able to write "XSP style" stylesheets.

You mean "compiled transformers", right?

I don't see the need for this, but I'll be listening to you guys to your
reasons.

> I read that you can't do everything with XSLT; this isn't yet true for what
> I am doing, but certainly XSLT is not allways as fast as you could get
> with custom code.
>
> And Xalan extensions?

I believe the notion of "compiled transformers", "compiled stylesheets"
and XSLT extentions are very similar. In fact so similar they are
probably all the same thing.

Like I said, we could extend XSP to provide the ability to create
compiled transformers, just like XSLT was extended with the ability to
run without any input. (A filter without an input is not a filter in my
vocabulary, but anyway...)

So what you need are XSLT extentions and hopefully Xalan will be able to
"compile" your stylesheets (either in memory or in java classes) to
optimize both XSTL and your extentions.

But this is something, IMO, Cocoon shouldn't take care of.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.