cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2: Pre- & Post-Transformers
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:43:36 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > I picture sitemap verbosity as a "measure" of your URI space
> > complexity... so you have a _clear_ feedback of what's going on and you
> > have a coherent view of the whole addressing scheme.
>
> It could also "measure" the "support" level, such as various views, many browsers,
> many languages, abstracted resources, advanced dynamic generation, without having a
> bad URI space.

Totally.

Cocoon2 will finally allow you to "design" your URI space independently
on the "support" level you plan to add to your site. This also allows
you to partition efforts as well as expenses in several milestone points
without affecting the whole system design.

For example, start with single-browser HTML then multiple-browser HTML
then single-browser WAP then multiple-browser WAP then offline
generation then PDF then semantic view, etc...

...without having to modify your URI space, thus avoiding the
broken-link plague and allowing users to "reconstruct" the URI of the
requested resource rather than searching everytime.

If you know that

 http://www.hotels.com/europe/italy/pavia/4-stars

tells the 4-stars hotel in my town, then it's easy to extrapolate that

 http://www.hotels.com/[continent]/[country]/[city]/[quality]

is the general query paradigm. Which, in fact, represents a very precise
(even if limited by its hardcoded structure) semantic-driven research.

Hopefully, Cocoon2 will help give the users back the power to jump
directly to what they want.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.