cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Sitemap class generation
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:34:37 GMT
Rob Parker wrote:
> May I ask what the motivation/advantage is of a generated sitemap
> class over a generic class consisting of say hashtables which reads
> the configuration file?

Of course, you may :)

Reminds me of the good old "do you know what time is it? yes, I do." :)

Seriously, there are mainly two reasons:

1) removed interpretation overhead: a compiled sitemap is "executed"
rather than interpreted. There may be cases where the sitemap may be
compiled into some interpreting code to take advantage of hotspot
facilities, but these are future optimizations. In general, given the
overall complexity a sitemap can achieve, a run-time interpretation may
add significant overhead for resource creations and invalidate the whole
point of context separation.

2) reduced development effort: a sitemap logicsheet is not easy to
write, but a lot easier than XML interpreting code, as XSP teaches. But
the real advantage is code maintenance: adding a new sitemap schema is
equivalent to creating an XSLT stylesheet between the new schema and the
old sitemap logicsheet. Having such architecture in place allows more
flexibility without loosing any performance nor increased coding

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.