cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Package names
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 18:54:56 GMT
Mark, let me tell you: you are a pain in the ass! :)

(it's intended as a compliment)

> Something to think about, if a transformer is both producer/consumer could
> it be thought of in terms of the decorator pattern? That is, a wrapper???

No, I disagree.

A transformer is _both_ a producer and a consumer. So it may be a
"generator wrapper" or a "serializer wrapper", depending on how you
think about it.

By creating the notion of "transformer implements producer, consumer"
you have balanced the two views and, IMO, this makes the pipes more
balanced.

(unlike SAX2 where a Filter is a generator wrapper, or XSLT where
processors are serializer wrappers)

Cocoon tries to balance between the two creating an independent
component.

[...snipped...]

Ok, at the end I propose the following naming:

   verb    |    action      |    actor
 generate  | generation     | generator
 transform | transformation | transformer
 serialize | serialization  | serializer
 select    | selection      | selector
 match     | matching       | matcher

then the interface for every component category will be placed in

 org.apache.cocoon.[action].[actor]

Please, PLEASE, let's agree on this.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.