cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@localbar.com>
Subject Re: [C2] Package names
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:13:53 GMT
Mark Washeim wrote:

> trouble.
>
> verb = select
> action = select
> actor = selector
> ( selector = a switch that is used to select among alternatives )

Uhhh.... Action is a noun, and as far as I know there is no such thing as "One
Select".

And in fact, there is a whole set of grammar problems here.
Instead of noun, verbs and adjectives, which are all "Classes of Words", one
should use "Components of Statements" (or whatever that is called in English).

Simple for;
Subject, Predicate, Object
such as;
The man tells a story.

or
Subject, Predicte, Agent
The is told by a man.

and so forth.
Translated into our domain.
A transformer  transforms  a SAXstream in  a  transformation.
^  subject  ^ ^predicate^  ^ object  ^ ^ location adverbial ^

> The package denotes a 'class' of components which relate to generation, so
> Ok.
>
> +1 for org.apache.cocoon.generation.Generator

Good.

> (I still contend that generator's are for making electricity, not documents)
> org.apache.cocoon.transformation.Transformer
> (god forgive me, that's an electrical device for transforming voltage)

God will. Generator are still an "origin" of whatever, and trans-form is
"move(?)-shape".

> org.apache.cocoon.selection.Selector (in place of choosing)

+1

<select>
    <when>
is a much cleaner syntax, IMHOOC...