cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] StatusGenerator
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2000 21:23:07 GMT
Paul Russell wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Attatched is an *incredibly* early version of the StatusGenerator
> I was fiddling with yesterday evening.

Cool. :)

> At the moment all it's
> doing is extracting info from the java environment - we need
> some hooks into the rest of the cocoon architecture to get
> statistics etc. from the engine. I'm lobbing this code in early
> because (a) I'm 'a bit busy' at the moment (as you've probably
> noticed from my extended silences ATM) and (b) I think this is
> *just* the kind of thing that people might like to play with as
> a gentle introduction to the codebase.

I totally agree, this is a great addition to the platform and a nice
"playground" for people willing to help around.

> Questions:
>
>  1) How should we go about extracting performance/operating
>     statistics from Cocoon? Two possibilities occour:
>
>     * Write a filter that gathers statistics from the pages
>       as they are served (number of 'hits', time taken to
>       serve each page, that kind of thing).

Nah, this should be "built-in" inside the component pipe, otherwise you
have to specify this everytime.

>       This would have a configuration overhead, as you'd have
>       to place the filter in the Sitemap for all the sections
>       you wanted to monitor..
>
>       ..on the other hand it would allow separate statistics
>       for different 'zones' of the site, and you could use a
>       conditional sitemap to turn off statistics if the server
>       was too busy.

No, I'd rather recompile the sitemap with statistics turned off.

>     * Provide hooks into the Cocoon class itself.
>
>       Less config overhead, but less flexible, and always
>       carries the runtime overhead whether the statistics
>       are wanted or not.

I think the sitemap should take care of these statistics...

>   2) Anyone got any bright ideas how you can measure the load
>      on a host from within Java? I can't think of any platform
>      independant way...

Neither do I :-(

Anyway, platform dependency here would not that bad... stuff like
Runtime.exec("uptime"). Of course, there is no win32 nor MacOS
equivalent for this.... but it's better than nothing.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.