cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] (hopefully) last sitemap major changes
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2000 09:03:30 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > 1) namespace:
> > to http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0
>
> +1.
>
> > 2) filter becomes transformer
>
> A Transformer takes an input and Transforms it to an output. The process is
> called a Transformation.
> +1.
>
> > 3) increased redirection capabilities
> >
> >  <map:redirect-to uri="..."/>
> >  <map:redirect-to resource="..."/>
>
> Feels right.
> +1

Great.

> > 5) added the notion of "error handling" (which includes metaevents
> > handling) as such
> >
> >  <map:pipeline>
> >   <map:match ...>
> >   </map:match>
> >   <map:handle-errors>
> >    <map:transform src="./style/error-page2html.xsl"/>
> >    <map:serialize/>
> >   </map:handle-errors>
> >  </map:pipeline>
>
> +1 for the idea...
> BUT, is it possible to Reset the SAX stream, and start all over?? And what
> about the response object in case of Http? It would possibly already been
> sending some data back to the client, by the time the error occur, no?
> A bit uncertain of the possibilities and implications...

Oh gosh, you are totally right: I underestimated that problem.

This an intrinsic limitation of the HTTP model: once the header has been
sent, you're doomed, but it's the same problem for "any" web technology.

> > 6) added the notion of "views" and pipeline "labels".
>
> Don't grasp this... Your sample has too many "content", and hard to
> understand what belongs where.
> You have another example, perhaps in the CVS?

No, it's basically the same, but if you don't understand it there's
something wrong.

> > Ok, people, this is it.
> >
> > This is what my poor fried brain could come up with.
> >
> > This, for me, it's the last working draft for Cocoon 2.0... it may not
> > be perfect, but it covers up everything I wanted to cover with this
> > release.
>
> <snip>
>
> > So, I consider it feature-frozen from now.
> >
> > Let's polish it and let's rock and roll implementing it :)
>
> What? We are only talking Sitemap here...

Yes, I know. But the sitemap is the skeleton of C2... you need a
skeleton to make you body stand up.

> Wait until things falls in place
> and the massive stream of requests and wishlist is pouring in from the
> crowd.

We'll see how the sitemap stands that tide ;-)

> Last question for the last WD - 1.1? or 1.2?
> No clue what the consensus was last time.

What's in CVS always reflects consensus... I make sure it does.

Anyway, if you don't like something or wish to change it, speak up
sooner rather than later!

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.