cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Stimmel <jon-li...@stimmel.net>
Subject Re: C2 thread savety
Date Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:24:59 GMT
On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 06:39:10PM +0200, Giacomo Pati wrote:

> I've encountered a problem concerning thread savetyness. The old C2
> sitemap engine instantiated a component object (generator, serializer,
> etc.) for every request. The new sitemap engine does not. Now we should
> decide if a sitemap component should be thread save, or not or if we
> could have a mixture of both (indicated in the sitemap as an attribute
> like thread-save="yes").

Or perhaps the components themselves could indicate to the engine
whether they're thread-safe; the person writing the sitemap probably
shouldn't have to keep track of such implementation details. Each
component could implement a static method that returns a boolean. Or
perhaps they could implement an interface indicating that they
aren't thread safe ("implements ComponentThreadUnsafe", e.g.)