cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Green" <gree...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Reloading jars
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 11:47:01 GMT
"Torsten Curdt" <tcurdt@dff.st> wrote:
>I'm using some self-written classes from a jar
>which is in in cocoons path.
>When I change the files in the jar it seems
>I need to do a full restart of cocoon / the
>the servlet runner.
>
>Is there a way to tell them to reload the new classes?
>(Sounds problematic to me...)

This is a common requirement. I have a patch here which I have been meaning
to release for a couple of weeks now, to fix the reload problem. Just need
to generate it and email it out. Hopefully this can go into Cocoon 1.8! :-)

There will be an extra option in cocoon.properties to configure what
directories to reload from, so it can be turned off if required.

However it does not reload from jars or zips because that is too dangerous
as far as I can see - unfortunately some Java virtual machines have native
code which does not expect zip or jar files to be modified concurrently, and
it can literally cause a VM crash.

It won't be a problem to unzip your jar files and just use the class files
in the normal way, will it?

--
Robin Green
i-tao Ltd.