cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@supereva.it>
Subject Re: Forms proposal
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2000 07:44:05 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Quinn" <jeremy@media.demon.co.uk>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: Forms proposal

> At 12:49 +0200 04/07/00, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >> Then to me, it looks like that Cocoon executes the response page
> >>creation, and
> >> that the Generator for such is the 'processor' of the Form.
> >> Then you would add a new type of ServletRequest class, which overrides the
> >> doPost(). It would require its own kind of mapping to validation and
> >>processing
> >> classes, but quite straight forward.
> >
> >I believe Nicola was proposing to create a sort of infrastructure for
> >"web round-trips":
> >
> >   server -> client -> server
> >
> >to simplify what is already possible.
> >
> >But I agree with Niclas that this may just be a layer on top of Cocoon.
> >
> >If this doesn't require any architectural changes, then I'd like to
> >postpone this discussion when we have implemented the sitemap and enough
> >components to test the design.
>
> The XFPTagLib, I'm writing for C1, manipulates external documents according
> to the contents of a Form and the structure of the XML via XPath, using
> some DOM Objects, then wacks out XML results to XSL.
>
> Will such TagLibs work in C2?
>
> Or will they all have to be re-coded for SAX?

Hi Jeremy.
I've seen your mails on the users list.
I hoped that your taglib would do for me what I needed but unfortunately it
isn't the case. :-(
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seams that your system unites all my
scheme on forms in one taglib, definind also (5).
To make the forms system more versatile, I think that it (the system)
should be more modular. That's why I made the proposal.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what you did is not ok, it just
has a different goal. For that it's very good. :-)
But I think that it could be used in the forms system I am writing (on C1 now)
in stage (5). In that stage I will use the SQL Processor, and yours
could become a sort of XML processor for manipulating XML files.
This is just an idea for the future.
When what I'm writing becomes usable, we'll see what/(if it) can be done.
Thank you.

Btw, I'm very curious too about C1-C2 migration.
What recoding needs to be done?
Will there be a wrapper for Dom processing (legacy) in C2? Seems
possible to me, DOM is usually based on SAX.

Ken

Nicola Ken Barozzi - AISA Industries S.p.A
http://www.aisaindustries.it/
Via Leonardo da Vinci,2 Ticengo (CR) Italy
Personal homepage at Java Guru:
http://www.jguru.com/jguru/guru/viewchannel.jsp?EID=39153
Personal FAQ at Java Guru:
http://www.jguru.com/jguru/guru/viewfaqs.jsp?EID=39153
Research Activity:
Politecnico di Milano - Dipartimento di Meccanica
Piazza Leonardo da Vinci, n.32 - 20133 Milano (Italy)