cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@supereva.it>
Subject Re: Forms proposal
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:12:09 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Niclas Hedhman" <niclas@localbar.com>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2000 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Forms proposal

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > Not necessarily. If you look at the W3C site, the XForms proposal, you will see
> > that they want to send XML directly to the server, no parameters.
> > When you want to send an array of data the size of which is not known beforehand,
> > with normal forms you must send a parameter with the elements divided by some
> > character and parse the string in the server.
> > With XML, you just send XML, no need to reparse yourself.
>
> What kind of market is there for the browsers that sends XForms?? Currently and in the
> next 6 months.

Imo there is no real need now of browsers that do it, sometimes it would
just make things easier.
It could be very important instead for B2B, where the "client" is another server
wanting to send data to the server.

> > And the 'processor' of the form doesn't
> > create the response, it just transforms the form into the valid xml posted
> > by the client for further processing.
> > I want to make it as modular as possible.
>
> Ok, what you are saying is basically,
> There is a XFormGenerator, that takes the request and streams the SAX events from the
> posted XML.

I would use a "Transformer" (3) for this, because it has to transform the Form in a file
into valid XML by using values gotten from a request.
I think that it's more correct from a transaction point of view (and safer) that it's the
same file that originated the form "questions" that checks for the validity of the response.

> Any processing of the posted data is done as a "Transformer" (formerly a Filter), with
> possible "side effects" such as updating a database, and otherwise streamed down the
> line in a normal fashion.

Basically the valid xml gotten from (3) is "streamed down the line in a normal fashion" (5).
Here is where one or more "side effects" can occur.

> A possibility would then be that the "Validation" stage would be in the Pipeline as a
> Chooser, which then direct the processing according to validation of fields.

Yes, something like it.

Ken

Nicola Ken Barozzi - AISA Industries S.p.A
http://www.aisaindustries.it/
Via Leonardo da Vinci,2 Ticengo (CR) Italy
Personal homepage at Java Guru:
http://www.jguru.com/jguru/guru/viewchannel.jsp?EID=39153
Personal FAQ at Java Guru:
http://www.jguru.com/jguru/guru/viewfaqs.jsp?EID=39153
Research Activity:
Politecnico di Milano - Dipartimento di Meccanica
Piazza Leonardo da Vinci, n.32 - 20133 Milano (Italy)