cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Nice article in german "Computerwoche online"
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:12:33 GMT
At 00:19 +0200 18/06/00, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>It's incredibly how many things languages has in common once you look at
>them from a real distand and abstract location.

Not so incredible to linguists ..... some believe there is a common root to
most European languages, Proto-Indo-European or Sanscrit.

The natural mutation of language is understood well enough for it to be
used as a tool to explore the migrations and mixing of peoples over
100,000's of years, much the same way that mutations in mitochondria are
used.

I heard a story once of a NASA engineer, tasked with finding the "ideal"
engineering language, capable of ultra precision, without all of the
ambiguities of English. After a long and fruitless search, he apparently
stumbled across Sanscrit, bizarrely, considering it is the oldest known
language, it fit the bill. I wonder what "Houston, the Eagle has landed"
sounds like in Sanscrit :)

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre