cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject HEAD/GET Bug
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:59:04 GMT
Dear All,

I think I have finally worked out why the XML -> SMIL project I have been
working on only works when the files are static, not when they are served
via Cocoon.

The project uses two forms of URL:

	/smil/slides.xml
	/smil/slides.xml?section=1

						test="not($section)" -> slides-smil.xsl --> application/smil

slides.xml -> navigation.xsl

						test="$section" -> slides-qtmov.xsl --> text/plain

I use the existence of the parameter "section" in the Query string for
"navigation.xsl" to choose which stylesheet to use; one that creates a SMIL
(no parameter) and one that creates a QuickTime Text Track textstream
(using the parameter value).

The URLs with a Query string, are only requested internally by the
QuickTime Plugin, they are embedded in the SMIL.

QuickTime always sends a HEAD request before sending a GET request, (quite
sensibly IMHO), Cocoon does not differentiate between them, this should not
cause a problem except, Query parameters do not appear to be passed to the
StyleSheet in the same way as they do with GET Requests.

When QuickTime goes "HEAD /smil/slides.xml?section=1", "navigation.xsl"
does not grok the parameter, consequentially choosing the wrong stylesheet,
sending SMIL instead of a textstream, which crashes the plugin =). Cocoon
then caches the response, so even if you do a subsequent "GET
/smil/slides.xml?section=1" you still get the wrong response.

Phew!

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre