cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Ulrich Niedermann <niederm...@isd.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject Re: Docs with Docbook
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:05:18 GMT
Hi!

Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> writes:

> Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> > Eventually, we will probably build our HTML, PDF, whatever docs out of
> > our XML stuff using C2. As we probably do not want the docs to require
> > a working installation of C2 in order to read, we should build them
> > from XML into static HTML/PDF/whatever files. I don't know what C2's
> > offline capabilities are today, but a few days ago, I wrote an Ant
> > task class that calls Xalan to perform an XSL transformation. We could
> > use this in the mean time.
>
> I agree. (BTW, there already is an XSLT task in Ant, no?)

I didn't see one in the "Ant User Manual" of "Version 1.0.8 - 2000/03/04".
I'll have a look at it at the weekend.

> > If someone could give me some hints, I could also try to get the FOP
> > stuff working with C2 instead of writing another Ant task for FOP.
> > Unfortunately I can't find a written overall overview about the C2
> > architecture so I don't know where to start.
>
> Again, we can't do anything before finalizing the sitemap, but we are
> almost there.

OK, HTML docs have priority over PDF anyway.

> > <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
> >                 version="1.0">

[  some templates snipped ]

> > </xsl:stylesheet>

> That's awesome. It would allow us to move from our simple DTD to a
> better one... even if I still think we should use Docbook directly for
> documentation given the very good documentation about Docbook.

You're right, but it makes existing docs easier to migrate to Docbook
- which should be useful for the few parts of the docs that still are
valid. Of course, you will always have to clean up some things
manually.

Are we going to use the xml.apache.org layout with those zillions of
tables and graphics? This would make Docbook->HTML stylesheets a
challenging task, I think.

Uli