cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon2 and dynamic site maps
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:38:43 GMT
On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Jorg Bauer wrote:

> The desired transformations vary substantially and depend on the context
> of
> the request.
> E.g.
> - who is the user
> - what browser / media (HTML, WAP, text) do they use
> - how do they want the information formatted (personal preferences)
> - what restrictions are imposed on them when viewing the data
> - date/time of request (e.g. during work I'm only allowed to see
> business
> news items)
> - physical location
> and many more.

Um, we've been spending the past month or two discussing ways to
accomodate choosing different sitemap components based on criteria just
like these. it'd be nice if you could flip through the design document in
the cocoon2 repository and see if it would accomodate your needs without
requiring you to write special code.

> I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that there are scenarios
> in which many different factors determine the final transformation
> sequence.  To try and capture these setups with a sitemap is
> difficult.

but not impossible, one would hope.

> Jorg
>
> PS: What does FS stand for?

Flexibility Syndrome - stefano thinks that "there's more than one way to
do it" is often a bad idea. i concur, but not as wholeheartedly as stefano
does. :)

- donald