cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject RE: sitemap draft still needs work in the matcher/chooser area
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2000 02:21:55 GMT
On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, David Duddleston wrote:

> The issue of authentication has been discussed previously and the verdict
> was to leave authentication to the Servlet container or Web server.
> Authorization is another issue.

a. i don't remember this being decided

b. i don't particularly care one way one or another - my question is
_technical_ - how do i configure a chooser/matcher differently in several
places in the same sitemap? - not religious.

c. if i did care, i would argue thusly - generally users and groups are
defined in the same place (file, database, whatever). if we do
authentication (determing that a user is who they say they are) in one
place (web server) and authorization (figure out what groups a user belong
to) in another place (cocoon), that means you have to replicate the
information for accessing the data source (file url; database url, driver,
username, password, table names, etc.) in two places.

anyway, hell, if all i end up using the web server for is talking http, os
interaction, and logging, i'm _fine_ with that.

- donald