cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon2, War files, Xerces and beyond
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2000 20:50:09 GMT

> No, seriously, you are right, we should move to final SAX 2.0 ASAP but
> if Xalan doesn't support that we might miss one leg and walking could be
> difficult.

For Cocoon 2, I'm hoping to have a Xalan 2.0.0d1 alpha posted in the next
couple of weeks.  It uses the current incarnation of the TRaX APIs (there's
a stalled issue about whether the interfaces should be broken into DOM &
SAX layers), and fully supports and takes advantage of the SAX2 APIs.

The current 1.1.0d1 code in the CVS looks pretty stable with the current
code in Xerces.  We will make a release as soon as Xerces does.

-scott

                    Stefano

                    Mazzocchi            To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    <stefano@apac        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    he.org>              Subject:     Re: Cocoon2, War files, Xerces and
beyond

                    06/01/2000

                    09:49 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Let me start with a provocative question: why does Cocoon 2, a product
not
> quite in alpha stage just yet, depend on experimental SAX APIs which are
> not part of the standard and only present in xerces 1.0.3?

Because Pier wrote that and he was not around to fix it.

Good enough as an answer? :)

No, seriously, you are right, we should move to final SAX 2.0 ASAP but
if Xalan doesn't support that we might miss one leg and walking could be
difficult.

> I agree that Cocoon 1, a stable mature product that people depend on,
> should be rather conservative in what versions of dependent projects it
is
> certified to run against, but Cocoon 2 at this stage should be more
forward
> looking IMHO.

As soon as we have an XSLT processor that works with that, I'm all +1 on
following the specs as close as possible.

> A few more reasons to look forward:
>
>    Did you know that the next version of Tomcat will work with the next
>    version of Xerces?  In other words, there exists the possibility of
>    being able to run a complete system with only *one* XML parser?

No, didn't know that :)

>    Did you know that Mike Pogue, Scott Boag, myself and others are
working
>    together to set things up so that compatibility between the various
>    projects in general, and Xerces and Xalan is verified at a minimum on
>    daily basis?  In fact, I just checked and the current versions of
Xerces
>    and Xalan will compile cleanly from CVS and together.  Note: I can
>    successfully include cocoon-1 in this, but I would much rather include
>    cocoon 2...

Yes, you told me: if Xalan-cvs compiles on Xerces-cvs we have no
problems then.

>    I'm pleased to see the evolution of Cocoon as a WAR file, and I see
the
>    discussion about what to add to the installation instructions in order
>    to run with Tomcat.  I will gladly go one step further and commit the
>    necessary changes to the startup.bat and sh files to the Tomcat CVS
>    tree.  At a minimum, it could include the necessary changes commented
>    out.  Better yet, if the commands are of the form:
>      if exist %TOMCAT_HOME%\lib\foo.jar set CLASSPATH=...
>    then this could be committed in an executable form.

I would love this.

> By the way, in the bottom of my previous post concerning the dependency
on
> Xerces 1.0.3, I included a question: would anybody mind if I started
> changing both the build process and the code (if necessary) for Cocoon so
> that external packages such as rhino were optional?  If I don't hear any
> objections, I may get started on this this weekend.

Not at all.

If you can do it without breaking anything, I can't see why we should
wait for it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.