cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: Battleplan? [TRaX status]
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2000 16:57:55 GMT

"Ross Burton" <ross.burton@mail.com> wrote:
> XSP and XSLT are done.  Does anybody know how TRAX is doing?

and

> All of the above can be done using TRAX (except the bytecode one).
Status
on TRAX?

Well, there are two things here.

The first is the status of TRaX itself.  The TRaX mailing list has gotten
very little traffic.  Right now the issue is how you might restructure the
TRaX APIs to separate a SAX-based TRaX from a DOM-based TRaX  (right now it
is very SAX focused, with a bit of DOM thrown in).  Keith Visco was going
to make a proposal for this, but never did, so I may give it a try at some
point.  If you are interested in helping with TRaX, subscribe to the
mailing list, read the archives, and throw your two cents in.  You should
ask Assaf about the serialization part of TRaX... I suspect it's pretty
solid.  The bottom-line is it is likely that the current incarnation of
TRaX won't be the last.  You can make it go faster and be better by getting
involved.  http://trax.openxml.org/

The second is the status of Xalan 2.0.0, which implements the current
incarnation of the TRaX interfaces.  We were getting close to being able to
release an alpha version, but got stuck on some needed rework of the XPath
stuff, and have been stalled for a couple of weeks.  I think I'm almost
over that hump now.

Also, it has been pointed out to me that I shouldn't be working on Xalan
2.0.0 offline... the code should be checked into the CVS so that others may
contribute to the effort if they wish, or simply explore the ongoing work.
The point is well taken (I'm still learning how to work with the open
source cycle), so, regardless of the functional status of the code I'm
going to be checking in the code on a branch in the next couple of days.

At this point, sad to say, I think the Xalan 2.0.0 code is about a month to
6 weeks away from beta status.  However, the code I'm going to check in
will probably be OK to start the process in integration with Cocoon 2.0.0,
and do some rudementary tests.  Or, you can wait, the choice is yours.  The
transfer to the TRaX interfaces should be pretty easy.

-scott