cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "David Duddleston" <da...@i2a.com>
Subject RE: Simpleton Sitemap question
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:55:08 GMT

> Please read the Servlet 2.2. spec. which we have commited to at "11.6
> Server Tracking of Authentication Information". There you see why it is
> better to leave authentication at the container level.
>
> If "Many Web Apps" still use their own Form based authentication it's
> almost because there was no infrastructure available to do this at the
> container level when those apps where written.
>
> And because there are so many different possibilities to do
> authentication we shuld leave it to the container and not reimplement
> our own.

Yeah, I just took another read of it. Still a few things I'm unclear about
regarding setting things up in the web.xml, but I think it is just a matter
of playing around with it. Anyway, I think you are right. It would be to
much of a hastle considering C2 will be Servlet 2.2 API which should cover
it.

-david