cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: Infozone
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:48:42 GMT

> Just a rant... I have seen a lot of corporate OSS interest in creating
> their own OSS projects/groups.  They get venture, want to do open source
> and then have venture.org as their project umbrella.  IMO it is a VERY
> bad idea.  We are already here, have a strong community, and have been
> doing this for a while.  :)

These companies normally don't last more than two rounds of financing
anyway :-)

Hmm... while I agree on the subject of OSS that can be used in all markets
(such as Linux, Cocoon etc.) - I am not sure I agree when it comes to a
company that would provide OSS for specific industries. Lets take eCommerce
as an example. A week ago I read that some company is positioning its OSS
solution against Intershop. I think this is a good idea and could be a
success. I think that when you provide OSS for specific industries (and I
can think of better ones than eCommerce) then the value of the services you
provide around the software increases (because you also need knowledge of
the industry). On the other hand the value of the software decreases
(anyway). And more so as more of the underlying software is moved to
Internet technologies such as XML.

Just my thoughts

Matthew

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

...this mail was scanned for viruses by mailserver...