cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Lewis <Andy.Le...@NSMG.VERITAS.com>
Subject RE: Thoughts on a data-driven web site
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:00:38 GMT
I admit...I can see how XSP as implemented, might not lend itself well to
being a filter. From what I have gathered from the list, it rather
comprehensively assumes it is the generator, and it able to gain some
significant advantages by doing so.

More than once over recently I've thought about bringing this up. A lot of
Cocoon functionality seems to really be XSP functionality. A great deal of
functionality that could be very useful as filters is being put into
taglibs. XSP is not an "optional" technology for a lot of the features being
developed. I realize that there is a lot of support for XSP, and I agree
that it is pretty cool stuff.

But in all honestly, I personally just don't LIKE sticking code in the
middle of an XML file (or HTML for that matter). I've just found with both
JSP and ASP in the past the it really obfuscates what is happening.

I just a user and lurker here, and a reasonably opinionated one at that
:-)...I haven't contributed a thing, so feel free to take this with a grain
of salt, but I'm still not sold on XSP as the preferred technology to own
the driver's seat in my apps.

(I AM sold on Cocoon overall though)

Andy Lewis

"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."