cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Lamb <p...@oil-law.com>
Subject RE: [RT] i18n in Cocoon and language independent semantic context s
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:02:27 GMT
BTW, Stephano, what's your native language? Your command of english is
better than most of the college gradutes that I've been interviewing lately
here in the U.S.

> Also, how can we simplify the sitemap evolution without
> compromising the
> rest of the system?

Or, "How can we design both the sitemap and the engine to expect
evolutionary changes? What about revolutionary ones?"

I've been thinking for a while now about how put cocoon and a web/servlet
server into a cohesive whole; and have wondered more than once if this
question or evolution ever came up in the servlet 2.2 spec discussions.
IMHO, web.xml just doesn't have the simple elegance of either the currently
proposed cocoon2 sitemap or ant build.xml files.

> I think a possible solution is sitemap pluggability and compilation.
>
> You could think at the sitemap like a big XSP taglib that is
> responsible
> to drive directly the execution of the resource creation pipelines.

This reminds me of going to the doctor about something and him saying, it's
no big deal, you won't even need surgery to fix that. And then you go back
the next week, and he's looking at your test results and says, we may have
to think about surgery. And then about a week later his nurse calls and
wants to know when you want to schedule the surgery.

You've done a great job over the last couple weeks of helping convince most
of us that we should stick to a fairly straight-forward declaritive sitemap.
BUT, I'd really like to see this idea develop further.

It seems to me if we are going to have a pluggable sitemap then we need to
define the engine interfaces that connects it to the sitemap component. Once
you've done this, then having either sitemap design becomes "just an
implementation detail". The first thought that comes to mind here, is
something like a valve pattern, like Craig's done with catalina.

> It would also increase performance, since matching could be optimized
> and what not.

I'd need some more info before I used this as a selling point. If one
created their own sitemap as opposed to compiling one via something like
xsp, I can see some possibilities for performance increases.

> It would also allow different sitemap schemas to be developped. In
> theory, you could create your own sitemap schema.

IMHO this would be great! I would love to see a dozen or more sitemap
implementations. You could have the one that passes the "girl friend test"
and at the other end of the spectrum ones that compete in the "obfuscated"
sitemap competition.

> Well, this collection of RT is admittedly wild.

With the number of great ideas that happen on this list, I'm really hoping
that get wilder.

Paul Lamb