cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: using Schemas for Form validation
Date Sun, 25 Jun 2000 19:40:58 GMT
on 25/6/00 8:27 pm, Donald Ball at balld@webslingerZ.com wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Mark Washeim wrote:
>
>> on 25/6/00 4:01 pm, Jeremy Quinn at jermq@media.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>> Are we talking generating JavaScript from a Schema ?!?
>>

>> Please, please, please, DON'T do client-side validation... I know, I know,
>> it's fast. However, it's unreliable, especially if you don't maintain the
>> javascript yourself. I'm always having to replace the javascript stuff
>> eventually  . . .
>>
>> You also can't deal adequately with check box type input (browser's behave
>> differently, for instance, sending name=on, which you have to validate
>> later, in any case) . . .
>
> i agree you shouldn't _rely_ on client-side validation using javascript,
> but it's a really nice extra you can tack on to make things nicer for
> clients that support it.
>
> - donald

I agree it's nice, but it's very difficult to maintain in a setting where
the forms are maintained by a variety of people.

Sadly, once the shop is big enough, unless you run it with an iron fist (in
which case you won't hold onto staff) you'll have varying milage in the
'quality' . . .

Of course, we do have a quality assurance department :) When push comes to
shove, though, the errors creep through our regimen, like so many spore in
an alien invasion flick . . .

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.