cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: merlot editor
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:52:10 GMT
on 19/6/00 8:19 pm, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> Mark Washeim wrote:
>>
>> http://www.merlotxml.org
>>
>> not sure how many of you already knew of the project . . . we're trying to
>> keep in touch with them to try to converge our editor efforts . . .
>
> That would be great.
>
> (even if Merlot's idea of XML editing is totally opposite to mine...
> well, I understand I'm a weirdo so I don't really count...)

I've been puzzling over the question of how what are, ostensibly, plain text
documents should be edited.

I use vi ;)

I think it's simple and depends, primarily on the workflow context...
namely, in cases where the documents in question are 'formal', a forms
approach (not HTML forms, but, field wise, nevertheless) is called for. It's
also the nature of that kind of document management.

Some would immediately object and say, well, then, why not just an RDBMS
with a forms (Oracle, for instance) interface... My answer to which is,
ascii rules. Seriously, even if you incur the overhead of transforming sql
results into xml (which using Donald's sql tag-lib makes a snap!) is well
worth it in terms of the ease with which the structure can be transformed .
. . namely XSL rooools, too.

For documents which are not amenable to a forms treatment, my opinion isn't
firm yet . . . I'd like a free text editor which transforms all my
formatting into mark-up a al docbook . . . but, that's a bit of a parsing
nightmare, thereafter . . . sigh, not sure yet . . .

--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.

Quem colorem habet sapientia?'