cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Washeim <esa...@canuck.com>
Subject Re: Is Apache Dead?
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:20:36 GMT
on 11/6/00 4:30 pm, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> marc fleury wrote:
>>
>> [picture the sound of one big huge SNIP]
>>
>> stefano,
>>
>> first of all, my apologies for mispelling your name, I have a very bad
>> memory for names.
>
> Don't worry, I happens all the time. :)

<BIG SNIP>

I can't help but respond to this thread. I appreciate that the tone is a
little less confrontational now. Great.

However, I want to add something about what might be the so called delusion
we ASF acolytes (I'm a hanger on, a mere user) are said to be suffering
from.

Since 1994, I've been deploying Apache. Since 1997, Jserv. Since 2000,
cocoon.

I have seen, in that time, products come and go (most notably, NS commerce
and enterprise servers, which are, most certainly dead, RIP) . . . I have
watched the marketroids pump up the volume while selling that truly delusion
inducing panacea for all our problems, the application server. The EJB
server (as if a component model where recently invented). Good grief.

I have NEVER been compelled by any of the products I've used (Dynamo,
WebLogic, WebSphere). I have seen merits. Far outweighed by the
consequential deployments maintenance overhead (ie, the man hours these
products cost us to maintain).

I remember the day when I read an IBM engineer addressing, in a popular java
magazine, what constitutes the Total Cost of Ownership. When do we see the
vaunted 'Return on Investment' . . . quite frankly, I laughed.

The answer is simple. I have made my money in the software wars through the
generosity and intelligence of the open source community. And the scientific
research community. Inria, the French research institution (and it's Dyade
arm in particular) in the latter case, the ASF in the former...

The only thing, coming out of the trenches, crawling rather, that remains
for me is give something back. I really, really want to see that day soon. I
owe the ASF (as do the engineers with whom I work) a debt of gratitude for
helping us fend of the barbarians in our little corner of the empire :)

>> Peace love and good code,
>
> Thanks. May the source be with you :)

No comment. :)

--