cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject XSP again
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2000 03:58:50 GMT
After the discussion today about the "right" way to insert external DOM
elements into XSP, I am left totally confused.  I had all my pages working
fine until I found out I was doing things the supposedly "wrong" way :-)

The suggestion was "never" to use internal XSP object local variables such
document, xspCurrentNode, etc (even though they are fully documented and
have suggested uses for XSP writers in the XSP documentation). How is it
then possible to insert an element that has a different parent then the XSP
page?

Several people said that the way to insert an element was (assuming a
library class whose myMethod() returns an org.w3c.dom.Element):

    <xsp:expr>library.myMethod()</xsp:expr>

This does not work.  You will always get a "DOM005 Wrong document error"
doing this.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how site developers are supposed to use
library methods that return Node or Element objects if it's highly
recommended not to use the XSP variables?

Mike